20 Kasım 2012 Salı

My 10 Essentials

To contact us Click HERE
Because it's my birthday, I decided to publish my 10 Essentials. Enjoy!
1. Slow Carb Diet 
If you want maximize your workouts, this book contains the lifestyle tips for you. I highly endorse both the diet and exercise routine. My goals were not for weight loss, but more for minimizing body fat percentage and maximizing muscle growth. I also wanted to get the most out of the few workouts I get a chance to do each week. Tim Ferris has hacked the human body to figure out how to convert and store caloric intake as muscle as opposed to fat. I personally love the simplicity of this diet and how energetic it makes me feel.
Here are the details of the diet:  Rule #1: Avoid “white” starchy carbohydrates (or those that can be white). This means all bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and grains. If you have to ask, don’t eat it. Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again, especially for breakfast and lunch. You already do this; you’re just picking new default meals. Rule #3: Don’t drink calories. Exception: 1-2 glasses of dry red wine per night is allowed. Rule #4: Don’t eat fruit. (Fructose –> glycerol phosphate –> more bodyfat, more or less.) Avocado and tomatoes are excepted. Rule #5: Take one day off per week and go nuts. I choose and recommend Saturday.

This diet proves that 80% of being fit is what you eat. A typical meal includes legumes, vegetables and protein. Often the protein is boiled eggs, chicken breasts, or grass fed beef. Snacks should include carrots and a variety of nuts including almonds and brazil nuts. Monounsaturated fats found in nuts, olives and avocados and saturated fats from red meat and egg yolks have been proven to raise serum testosterone levels which increase muscle mass. Also, the timing of your meals with exercise and sleep matter greatly too. Tim Ferris is obsessed with body hacking, so in 4-Hour Body he goes into exhaustive details about many things in which you will have absolutely no interest. Don't get caught up in the details, and take from it what you need.
2. Frederic Malle Cologne
Every man needs a go-to cologne. Mine happens to be Lys Mediterranee. I got turned onto this scent by my buddy Zach who works at Cuffs Custom Clothing in Chagrin Falls, OH. I don't wear cologne for my day job, but if you happen to catch me in the evening or on the weekend, I'll probably be wearing this stuff.  This is one of the most unique scents I have ever smelled. It's a very subtle, familiar, and natural floral scent..smells like a garden after a heavy summer rain. I get tons of compliments whenever I wear it.
3. Athletic Greens
This is another tip I gleaned from Tim Ferris. I start every day with a heaping spoonful of this green powder dissolved in a glass of water. Unlike other green supplements, this one is organic and actually tastes pretty good.  Sometimes I also like to mix in a little Kombucha tea, which makes for a great tasting beverage to start the morning. In addition, the nutritional profile is so complete. I've not felt so energized and healthy in recent memory. On top of that, I think the immunity benefits are great. I don't take supplements like Airborne or Emergen-C anymore. Athletic Greens has all of the antioxidants and immune boosters to prevent illness just as well as the other products. As it says on the bottle, this product is "nutritional insurance". 
4. Benton's Smokey Mountain Country Hams
Allan Benton, owner of Benton's, makes what is considered to be the world's finest bacon and ham in Madisonville, Tennessee.
His country hams are slowly cured using salt, brown sugar and sodium nitrate, and then aged 9-10 months or longer. Chefs from all over the country fly this stuff into their high end restaurants. However, you don't have to be at one of those restaurants to get it, you can get this stuff delivered straight to your home on their online store. I order it all the time. The bacon is a great straight out of the frying pan, or to add a smokey pork flavor to you favorite dish. My all time favorite products are the Hickory Smoked Country Ham center cuts and the Prosciutto.  Here is Allan's favorite recipe, featured in Esquire Magazine Aug 17, 2009:
Slice some ham thin like prosciutto and fry it up — sauté, if you're sophisticated — like this: I'll pour a half a cup of brewed coffee into a skillet, trim the fat off the slices, place my fat in the frying pan, lay my lean slices on top. Sometimes I'll start with the lid on the pan, and when I see a little steam coming from under the lid, take it off and brown the ham lightly. When you're done with that, fry that fat out good, add another half cup or so of coffee, put that on medium heat, and cook that liquid down until about half is gone. Pour that up, and that's your redeye gravy. Add a little flour and milk, and that's your sawmill gravy. You pour that over biscuits, buddy.
5. Custom Dress Shirts
Ill-fitting dress shirts continue to be a problem for men, and the blousy muffin-top look simply won't cut it anymore. Well fitting dress shirts are definitely worth the splurge. This simple wardrobe modification will make any man look 5-10 pounds lighter.  The best part is that nowadays you don't even have to go custom to get a great fitting dress shirt. Many retailers are recognizing this trend towards fitted clothing and have slim fit offerings that reflect that trend.

Bueno                                                                No bueno  


6. Occusoft Lid Scrub Foam
You can't have a Ten Essentials list without mentioning hygiene. As an ophthalmologist, I care most about eye hygiene as many of my patients suffer from poor eye hygiene.   Eyelid scrubs are designed for people who suffer from "blepharitis" (inflammation of the eyelash follicles), but it can be used for anyone who wants to remove oil, debris or other contaminants from the eyelid margin. The eyelids may be crusted, burning or irritated, and this frequently causes dry eye, redness and in some cases blurry vision. This product is incredibly gentle on the ocular surface. I prefer the Occusoft Lid Scrub Foam. I use it in the shower about every other day. Women often find it's very useful as an eye makeup remover at the end of the day. No prescription is needed and you can usually find this product or its equivalent, like Sterilid, over the counter in most grocery stores or pharmacies. The foaming scrub can sometimes be hard to find in stores but can always be found on Amazon.com.

7. Home - Memphis, Tennessee Memphis is where I was born and where I will always consider my home. This city has the food, history, music and culture to compete with any other major city in the US - from the National Civil Rights Museum to Graceland. You can't head to Memphis without eating some fried chicken. My favorite spot is Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken on Front Street. A can't miss dessert spot is  Muddy's Bake Shop - best cupcakes in the Northern hemisphere.  My favorite barbecue spot is Central Barbecue on Central Ave, just down the street from where I grew up. Last time I went to this place I met a couple guys who drove 12 hours all the way from Austin, Texas for the sole purpose of eating there. They started the drive from Austin on Friday night and arrived at the restaurant as it opened Saturday morning, only to turn around immediately after the meal to drive back to Austin. While I don't endorse driving that far for ribs, I don't disapprove.    8. Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Need I say more? This is one the top rated bourbons in the world. Produced in very limited quantities, this bourbon is extremely delicious and hard to find. There is nothing better after a long hard day at work. I have written here about how to get a bottle, but you'll need a lot of luck on your side too. My favorite offerings are the Pappy Van Winkle 15 year (for the unparalleled taste) and the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof (for the price point and wider availability). 
9. Bistro Art Co. Painting is one of my favorite ways to pass the time. Nothing gets my mind off the day-to-day stresses of life and work, than a hobby that so completely engages my right hemisphere. All of my concerns go away when the artistic process takes over.


My buddy Aron Chary has a gallery
of Bistro pieces in his downtown Memphis condo. 


10. Blenheim Ginger Ale Blenheim has been bottling since 1903 in South Carolina., and this is real Ginger Ale people! So powerful, it will burn your nose hairs if you take a direct whiff of it. There is no attempt to tame this powerful root at all in this secret recipe. You can drink it straight up, but there are multiple other uses including cocktails, marinades, and recipes. My favorite is simply cold over ice with freshly squeezed lime juice. The easiest place to find this stuff is at your local Fresh Market, but I also just go to their online shop. There are three different styles, each designated by the color of its cap: Red cap: Hot Gold cap: Not as Hot White cap: Diet
I prefer the hot Red cap.
My most recent order



Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder